The Directorate has the following competences:
- Prepares and adopts by-laws related to personal data protection;
- Develops policies and provides guidance on personal data protection;
- Conducts inspections in accordance with the provisions of the Law on Personal Data Protection;
- Assesses the legality of processing of personal data;
- Keeps a Central Register;
- Issues approvals for processing of personal data in accordance with the provisions of the Law on Personal Data Protection;
- Issues prohibitions on further processing of personal data of the controller;
- Authorizes the transfer of personal data to other countries;
- Gives opinions on draft laws in the field of personal data protection;
- Gives opinions on draft codes of conduct related to personal data protection;
- Conducts misdemeanor proceedings through the Commission on Offence in accordance with the law;
- Acts upon requests of supervisory bodies in the field of personal data protection of other countries in relation to the performance of their activities on the territory of the Republic of Macedonia;
- Conducts trainings and provides technical assistance to interested controllers or processors;
- Realizes international cooperation in the field of personal data protection and participates in the work of international organizations and institutions for personal data protection and
- Performs other duties specified by law.
MISSION: The mission of the Directorate for personal data protection is performing inspection over lawfulness of actions taken during the processing of personal data and their protection in the country.
VISION: The vision of the Directorate for personal data protection is acting according to the European standards and criteria by applying modern ICT, to provide services for personal data protection to each citizen, business , the civil sector as well as other partner institutions in the country and beyond.
Quality policy of the Directorate for personal data protection.